Write to Publish Conference
Ooligan’s yearly publishing conference is geared toward providing authors with the tools needed to navigate the world of publishing. My two terms as a member of the Write to Publish team included a wide range of activities, including the following:
- brainstorming for contest themes, panel and workshop topics, and potential vendors and sponsors
- letters to potential vendors
- design of postcards and flyers to promote the conference and the high school essay contest
- creation of website content including the FAQ (included below) and contest guidelines
- writing of Twitter and Facebook updates
- photo editing
- website design, including research into similar conference websites, wireframe design, and page layout
What I gained most from working on the Write to Publish Conference was an increased ability to function as a member of a team; much of my experience with this project was collaborative, including group brainstorming sessions and translating group ideas into website pages and marketing documents. While a brainstorming document may seem out of place in a professional portfolio, the ability to generate ideas is a valuable skill that is easily overlooked. During these brainstorming sessions, I learned to more effectively contribute my voice to group discussions.
The website design mock-up was a series of pages created in Indesign to translate the Write to Publish team’s concept for the website to the designer. I was not responsible for the header or the footer, which were a set part of the Ooligan website, and only the main page is featured here.
|<— View Mock Publishing Company||View Publishing Tools for Indie Authors —>|